Questions & Answers (FAQ)

I need to schedule a breast screening. Who do I call?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For information on the Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program please click here.

To view a video about this provincial program please click here.

To book a screening appointment, women over the age of 40 who have no breast problems and no breast implants may self-refer by calling:

Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM): 473-3960
Toll-Free: 1-800-565-0548

I think I have Lyme disease. How do I get tested?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For information on Lyme disease from the Public Health Agency of Canada please click here.

I found a tick. Am I suppose to send it to someone?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No. At this time, ticks are not being tested for Lyme because we know that ticks in this area have the bacteria leading to Lyme disease.

I think I have bed bugs in my house. How do I get rid of them?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

The NS Department of Health and Wellness has some excellent resources on Bed Bugs. Please click here to view these resources in English and in French.

I think my child has head lice. What do I do?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

For more information about head lice check out the following links:

Head Lice Pamphlet - Waterloo

Lice Pamphlet



I need my drinking water tested. Where do I go?

Tips for testing your well water from the Government of Nova Scotia: Click Here

To view a list of water testing labs in Nova Scotia: Click Here

For information about arsenic in Nova Scotia’s drinking water: Click Here

Frequently asked questions for the Nova Scotia Home Assessment program: Click Here

Information for private wells: Click Here

I have a question about food safety and recalls. Who should I speak with about this?

The Department of Agriculture is responsible for the Food Safety Section, which provides protection for Nova Scotians through quality food products. To make a food safety complaint, please click here.

Visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for information related to high-risk food recalls and allergy alerts.

The Public Health Agency of Canada has information related to food safety.

I need vaccines before going on a trip. Where can I get them?

International Travel Clinic

Location: Dartmouth NS
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.
Phone: (902) 481-5900

Yellow Fever vaccination centers in Canada: Click Here

I’m going to community college/university and I need to be tested for TB. Who can do this for me?

First you need to check with your school. For example the NSCC Lunenburg Co Campus has VON come in and do the students as a group. If this option is not available at your school then you can consult VON or any of the travel clinics in Halifax, please see question 8 above.

VON Lunenburg County: (902) 624-1897

I don’t have a family doctor. Where can I get my children immunized?

Scheduled monthly clinics are held at Public Health Services in Bridgewater. This is for people who do not have a family doctor or have to travel outside of the district to see their Health Care Provider.

Appointments can be made by calling 543-0850.

Flu season is coming up. When and where can I get a flu vaccine?

Contact your Primary Health Care Provider or Pharmacist. Public Health offers flu clinics during early flu season. Outside of early flu season, scheduled monthly appointments outside of flu season, when public clinics are offered.

I want to get the shingles vaccine. Where can I get it and how much does it cost?


Some pharmacies will also give the vaccine - ask your pharmacy if they offer this service. Costs changes may vary and some drug plans will cover the cost so it will be best to check your drug plan.

I need a copy of my immunization record. Who do I ask?

To request a copy of your immunization record, please complete the Request for Immunization Record form and fax to (902) 543-8024 or contact us toll free at 1-844-515-0675. You can expect a response within five business days.

I have mould in my house. Who can help me?

Department of Environment are the people to touch base with. Please call: (902) 543-4685

Health Canada has information related to mould. Please click here to view the web page.

I need a Nova Scotia Health Card. Who do I contact?

To review frequently asked questions related to the Nova Scotia Health Card click here.

I don’t have a doctor. Where can I get one?

For a listing of family physicians accepting new patients click here.

Please click here visit the Family Physicians Accepting New Patients website. If you need health advice, please dial 811 on your land line to connect with HealthLink 811, and you will have access to non-emergency health information and services.